Centralia, Pennsylvania is a near ghost town located in the coal region of Columbia County. Many people visit Centralia hoping to see abandoned buildings and a ruined town. They usually leave disappointed.
In the 1980s the United States federal government worked to buy out most of the town’s residents and relocate them to neighboring areas. As this was done, their former homes were razed and the most obvious traces of human development were erased.
Today, Centralia is more like a park with numerous trees, cemeteries, and the occasional sidewalk. Don’t worry though, there is still lots to see there, including an abandoned, broken stretch of route 61 that is covered with graffiti.
Centralia PA Map
Directions to Centralia
Centralia, PA can be reached easily from Interstate 81.
From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
- Get on 81 north
- Travel to Exit 116 and get on Route 901 west
- Follow 901 west until reaching Route 54. Turn right onto 54 east
- Travel to Ashland. Turn left onto Route 61 north
- Follow 61 north until you reach Centralia
From Scranton, Pennsylvania:
- Get on 81 south
- Travel to Exit 143 and get on Route 924 south
- Follow 924 south until reaching Ringtown Blvd. Turn right onto Ringtown Blvd.
- Travel to Little Mountain Road and turn left onto it.
- Make the next left onto Aristes Road/Logging Road 2006 and follow this to Aristes
- In Aristes, turn left onto Route 42 south until you reach Centralia.